Thursday, December 15, 2016

Gods of Talera


Well, I intended to get a post up about Gods of Talera sooner but then final exams came in and everything else went out the window. So I’m finally getting around to it.

As most of you know, the fourth and fifth books in the Talera series are finally out, just in time for the holiday season. I posted a bit about Wraith of Talera last blog. Gods and Wraith make a duology, a grouping of two books that complete a single story. 

Gods also marks a kind of ending for the series. The story line of Ruenn Maclang, which began in Book 1, Swords of Talera, reaches a logical conclusion. I don’t, at current, have any plans for further books about this particular group of characters, although I am interested in exploring some other aspects of the planet of Talera, perhaps through some novellas.

Gods also provides a final reveal on some of the questions that have been troubling Ruenn Maclang throughout the series. Namely, who actually created the planet, what happened to them, and what do they have to do with the Asadhie, the group of sorcerers that Ruenn has been in conflict with throughout the series. I had fun writing that part.


The Talera series started as a labor of love, and has ended that way. The Barsoom books of Edgar Rice Burroughs were a huge part of my formative years and for as long as I can remember I wanted to tell Sword and Planet stories in the ERB tradition.  I’m proud of this series. I hope many readers will feel the same way. 

12 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

What a challenging yet rewarding series. I doubt I could stick with a character past a book.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations! It does feel awesome to wrap up a series.

Charles Gramlich said...

Patti, I find I want to tell a series about almost every character. I've done quite a few short story series.

Alex, indeed. Glad to feel that the story is out there.

Cloudia said...

You should feel a very justified feeling of accomplishment, Charles! Congratulations on your achievement.

David Cranmer said...

I'm looking forward to reading, Charles.

Oscar Case said...

If I was into fantasy, this would be a great series to have. Congrats on finishing it.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cloudia, yes, I'm pretty happy with 'em. Thanks.

David, appreciate that

Oscar, well, they're about half western anyway. Swords instead of guns. :)

Angie said...

Hey, congrats! It always feels awesome wrapping up a story. :)

Angie

Loni Townsend said...

Congrats on your series! That's quite the feat to get it all done and out there, and woot for producing something you're proud of too. That is awesome. I aspire to do the same, if only I could finish that darned second book. :)

Good luck, and I'll go check out your series.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, I will make a trip to Planet Talera in 2017. I'm looking forward to it.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Congratulations, sir! :)

Charles Gramlich said...

Angie, sometimes a little bittersweet

Loni, Thank you. Much appreciated. I appreciate you dropping by.

Prashant, thumbs up!

Optimistic, thanks!