Monday, October 01, 2012

Good Review, and CONtraflow II


Andrew Byers over at Tales from the Bookworm's Lair, has reviewed the Borgo Double containing my Under the Ember Star and Michael Burgess’s The Battle for Eden. It’s a detailed review of both works. I’m glad to say that Andrew liked ‘em both, as well. Check it out.
In other news, this weekend, October 5-7, I will be a guest at the New Orleans area CONtraflow Con. This is only the second year for the Con, which I also attended last year. I had a great time and this one looks bigger than before. They’ve moved to a new and larger hotel. We’ll be at the Double Tree Hotel in Kenner, Louisiana, which is near the New Orleans area airport. The author guest of honor is Vernor Vinge. Arthur Suydam is the Comic Artist Guest of Honor. There are plenty more guests as well. Even me!

You can get a PDF of the schedule at the link above. I’ll be at the “Meet the Guests” party Friday evening, and then have a panel at 9 on “The Fan in Academia.” I know many academics who are fans of Science Fiction and Fantasy. It seems a fairly natural match to me, especially for scientists.

On Saturday I have an 11:00 panel on “How to Get Published,” a 4:00 panel on “World Building 101,” and a 7:00 on “The Works of Robert E. Howard.” I also did that one last year, and though we didn’t have a lot of folks at the panel we had a wonderful discussion that we had to continue downstairs in the pool area after the panel was done.

I’ll also be around on Sunday, though I don’t have any specific panels that day. I will be in and out of the dealer’s room, though, and wandering around to other folks’ panels. I’ve met quite a few of the guests before, but not all. Come join us if you can.
----
----








31 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's very cool you're part of the Con again this year!

Charles Gramlich said...

Alex, yes, looking forward to it. Much enjoyed last year's offering.

Deka Black said...

Congratulations for the good review, Charles!

Charles Gramlich said...

Deka, thanks, man. Made me feel pretty good.

Andrew Byers said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Charles! I really hope you have the opportunity to write a follow-on novel.

nephite blood spartan heart said...

Have a good time at the Con Charles, I'll make it to one you are at one of these times.

Charles Gramlich said...

Andrew, thanks, man. I don't have a good idea for one yet, but I did much enjoy writing about Ginn and her companions. I'd like to write more for sure.

David J., that would be cool!

Deka Black said...

You're welcome ;)

Pearl said...

Looks like it's going to be a good time. :-)

Pearl

X. Dell said...

Sounds like fun. Have a great time.

BernardL said...

I really enjoyed Under The Ember Star, my friend. Ginn was a heck of a character.

Jessica Ferguson said...

Hope you have fun and sell many books!

laughingwolf said...

grats, charles... sounds like fun

move louisiana to the niagara area, and i'd be there ;)

Cloudia said...

oh go immerse yourself in it!


Aloha from Honolulu,
Wishing YOU BOTH
the Best
Comfort Spiral
=^..^=

> < } } ( ° >

Charles Gramlich said...

Deka, :)

Pearl, I really enjoy a good con. I don't get to too many.

X-Dell, I think it will be, and hopefully I'll sell a few books.

Bernard, thanks for the review, man. I appreciate it. I liked writing about Ginn. She's one tough cookie.

Jess, selling books would be a nice perk!

Laughingwolf, who knows. we could experience a space warp and it might happen.

Cloudia, thanks. Will do.

Prashant C. Trikannad said...

Charles, I hope you can write about your experience at CONtraflow Con, especially your thoughts on how to get published and the works of Robert E. Howard. What exactly is World Building 101? Have a good time.

Greg said...

congrats on the good review! have fun at the con.

Charles Gramlich said...

Prashant, world building is about how to construct a believable alien world. I will definitely post about my experiences at Contraflow sometime next week.

Greg, thankee, man.

Golden Eagle said...

Congratulations on the positive review!

The con sounds like it will be really interesting.

Charles Gramlich said...

Golden Eagle, I'm looking forward to meeting Vernor Vinge.

Rick said...

On my way to check it out now, Charles. Congrats!

Erik Donald France said...

Congrats, Charles, kudos, 23 skidoo and salud ~ a French 75 cheers, too ~ !

Charles Gramlich said...

Rick, appreciate that.

Erik, thanks, man!

laughingwolf said...

cool...

all the louisiana cajuns could then, more easily, visit with their acadien relatives in the maritimes, and the few who, reluctantly, moved to la belle province - quebec ;)

Charles Gramlich said...

Laughingwolf, there has definitely been some gene pools passing back and forth between those groups,

Oscar Case said...

Sounds like a great time will be had by all!

Charles Gramlich said...

Oscar, should be indeed

RK Sterling said...

Congrats on the good review, Charles. :) I'm in the midst of reading "Under the Ember Star" and am enjoying it very much. Sort of reminds me of the Firefly TV series, which I also loved.

Charles Gramlich said...

Kate, cool. I caught several episodes of Firefly and liked it but I was never able to catch it consistently. However, my wife recently got the the DVD so I'll be watching it all the way through soon. Probably over Christmas

jodi said...

Charles, you are one busy dude! You must feel pretty good about things.

Charles Gramlich said...

Jodi, would feel better if I could see my sales blooming a little bit. I hoped I'd break through to a few more fans with each book but there hasn't been a lot of that happening, it seems.