Thursday, February 08, 2007

Holy is the Morning

This morning's sky was scabbed over with gray cloud, but there were cracks that let the sun bleed through. And as I drove across the lake the light rained down in streamers to strike hard and spray back into the air like foam at the bottom of a cataract. It was the kind of light you imagine with scenes of angels and saints, and in the distance I saw a shadow that I first took to be a hill where no hill should be. Then I realized that I was seeing a pair of shrimp boats anchored close together and still on the surface, with masts feeling up into the light. There were three masts, and an image came unbidden. Three crosses on another hill, on Golgotha. After Christ and the criminals had been taken down. It had been a long time since I thought of the crucifixion; I was raised Catholic but haven't been to church in many years. But no matter your beliefs, or lack thereof, sometimes the morning is holy.

10 comments:

Danny Tagalog said...

Oh, most mornings are holy I feel - but you sound lucky living where you can appreciate nature to the ful.

From: A.N.Other lapsed Catholic

Danny Tagalog said...

full!

Susan Miller said...

What a beautiful scene...peaceful. Thank you for sharing that.

Sidney said...

That's a good passage. I think it could be the opening to a novel. A private eye tale with the sacred reference a foreshadowing of the unholiness the hero will see.

Charles Gramlich said...

Thanks. And yeah, Sid, I can think how the scene would twist toward the unholy with this scene as a set up. Good idea.

ZZZZZZZ said...

A beautiful mental image you gave me! Although if I had a choice I'd be sleeping until noon. ;o)

JR's Thumbprints said...

I'm not much of a church-goer myself; I guess that makes me an average practicing Catholic.

How about: "This morning's sky was scabbed over with gray cloud, but there were fissures where the sun bled through." ???

Hey, sometimes I take great pleasure in messing with someone else's writing instead of my own.

Clifford said...

Charles, I hope the rest of the day lived up to the promise.

Stewart Sternberg (half of L.P. Styles) said...

I thought that was a nice passage. I agree entirely. I ride to work through farm country and it is sometimes the most amazing time..especially in the fall when the leaves are changing, or in early spring.

Drizel said...

The description was so clear. Really cool!